GUB update

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: GUB update
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 16:33:05 +0000 (UTC)

A restatement of what is happening with GUB builds, and therefore an appeal
for help.

The current aim is to update gcc so it will compile more up to date template
syntax, and my target has been gcc 4.8.2.  The previous version was 4.1.1.
I'm working with a new virtual machine running Ubuntu 14.04.

The principle with GUB is that it has details of all the packages it uses,
and by issuing the 'make bootstrap' command, it goes and gets all the
packages it needs, and all their dependencies, and builds them all from
scratch.  The problem I believe I now have is that gcc 4.8 has a new
dependency: GMP, the multi-precision library. I believe this is a dependency
from the newer version of MPFR that gcc 4.8 requires.

As it stands, GUB is unaware of this dependency, and so makes no attempt to
download or install MPC.  This meant that the gcc build stopped with the
following error:

checking for the correct version of gmp.h... buggy but acceptable
checking for the correct version of mpfr.h... yes
checking for the correct version of mpc.h... no

Following the guidance here, I downloaded and installed mpc manually.  This
overcame that problem, but I now get:

checking for the correct version of gmp.h... buggy but acceptable
checking for the correct version of mpfr.h... yes
checking for the correct version of mpc.h... yes
checking for the correct version of the gmp/mpfr/mpc libraries... no

I assume what is happening here is that the manual install places the mpc
libraries where the gcc configur can't find them.  In any case, doing this
manually defeats the object of a self-building package builder.  So what
would be really helpful would be for someone who understands all the python
stuff that GUB does could point me to how to add the new dependency to GUB
for MPC.

Thanks.

--
Phil Holmes