Re: Draft: Extended mensural notation support

From: Lukas Pietsch
Subject: Re: Draft: Extended mensural notation support
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 20:18:22 +0000 (UTC)

Werner LEMBERG <wl <at> gnu.org> writes:

> No.  Not a patch, but a series of patches, adding the stuff in small,
> incremental steps that are easy to review.  I'm willing to proof-read
> all changes to the Metafont sources.
>
> To simplify the process, I suggest that you get write access to the
> lilypond git repository so that you can add such incremental patches
> to one or more separate branches (I like this method bettern than the
> `modern' way of forking lilypond at github, then followed by push
> requests) – unfortunately, with Rietveld you only see all commits
> squeezed to a single commit.  After a first review, you could add a
> new branches that replaces older ones with better commits, etc., etc.
> If we have concensus, it should be easy then to merge everything into
> `staging'.

Thanks for this advice. I'm afraid I have to admit I'm a total novice at
dealing with these kinds of versioning tools, "commits" and "branches" and
stuff, so I can only hope I'll manage these things without messing up too
much. I also found dealing with Metafont a real challenge - I just about
managed to get the shapes the way I wanted them, but the code might still be
quite messy and technically sub-optimal.

Lukas