Re: Draft: Extended mensural notation support

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Draft: Extended mensural notation support
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 19:33:46 +0100

Lukas Pietsch <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> Developing the first patches does not require write access: the
>> development process in Git is primarily a local one.  If there is
>> consent that Rietveld is not useful for looking at incremental patches
>> (I am not convinced but not opposed to trying a more patch-series
>> friendly review), I would strongly suggest that "git send-email" is used
>> for sending the patch series to the developer list for discussion.
>> Improved versions of a patch series can be sent using "git send-email
>> --reroll-count 2" and so on.
>>
>> The most important thing to get right at first is working with your
>> local repository.  Write access to the global repository should not be
>> necessary for that.  I prefer saving that until contributors have shown
>> to be comfortable with our workflows and Git.
>>
> Okay, tried to follow the instructions in the contributor manual, and ended
> up with my first small patch here: https://codereview.appspot.com/201520044/
> Correct?

Well, basically if one does only a patch for a subtask, it makes more
sense to create a separate Google issue for it and then block the full
issue on the subtask.  The documented procedures in the manual and the
issue tracker do not really support multiple patches for one issue well.
Which was sort of the point about the suggestions with git send-email
and its ilk.

Doing one issue tracker per subissue feels like overkill, but it is sort
of manageable with the provided commands.

> I do feel a bit lost now.

Just wait for testing and reviews.  And/or create separate patches.  The
problem is that when the patches are dependent on one another, it
becomes tricky submitting one patch before the previous patch has made
it into LilyPond master, and so a five-patch series ends up taking a
month until it is completely submitted.  Which is rarely practical.

> ("git send-email" wasn't recognized as a git command on my machine).

dpkg -S /usr/lib/git-core/git-send-email shows

git-email: /usr/lib/git-core/git-send-email

So depending on your system, you might want to do something like

sudo apt-get install git-email