Re: Ghostscript 9.15

From: Masamichi HOSODA
Subject: Re: Ghostscript 9.15
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:29:41 +0900 (JST)

>>> Have you checked ligatures?  I think we were able to correlate our
>>> ligature problems (don't know the issue right now) to the use of 64bit
>>> architecture.  It may be related to GhostScript.
>>
>> I haven't.
>> Is it here?
>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2656
>>
>> I'll check it.
>
> Yes, that's the one.  We still haven't a clue what is really causing it,
> so updating GhostScript is a good opportunity to check whether this
> makes a difference.  Of course, our update of the crosscompilers could
> conceivably also have made a difference here.

I've checked some environments.

  linux-64: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit
    ligatured pdf is generated.

  linux-x86: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32 bit (minimal install, no GUI, console only)
    non-ligatured pdf is generated.

  mingw (Windows): Windows 8.1 64 bit
    non-ligatured pdf is generated.

I think that ghostscript is transparent about ligature.
It convert from ligatured PostScript files to ligatured PDFs,
from non-ligatured PostScript files to non-ligatured PDFs.

So, I've tried to the following.

  In linux-64: .ly to .ps
    $ ./lilypond -f ps -o linux-64 2656-font-ligatures.ly

  In linux-x86: .ly to .ps
    $ ./lilypond -f ps -o linux-x86 2656-font-ligatures.ly

  Then, I copied the generated PostScript files to cygwin environment.

  In cygwin: .ps to .pdf
    $ ps2pdf14 linux-64.ps linux-64.pdf
    $ ps2pdf14 linux-x86.ps linux-x86.pdf

  The result:
    linux-64.pdf is ligatured.
    linux-x86.pdf is non-ligatured.

This result shows that ghostscript isn't the cause of the ligature problem.
I think that ligature problem caused by system's installed fonts
or libraries etc.