Re: Ghostscript 9.15

From: Masamichi HOSODA
Subject: Re: Ghostscript 9.15
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 20:52:03 +0900 (JST)

>>   linux-64: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit
>>     ligatured pdf is generated.
>>
>>   linux-x86: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32 bit (minimal install, no GUI, console only)
>>     non-ligatured pdf is generated.
>
> Ah, this is surprising, since up to now exactly the opposite behaviour
> was reported (this is, working on 32bit and failing on 64bit).

I've tried lilypond linux-x86 binary on Ubuntu 64 bit environment.
The result is non-ligatured.
In this same environment, linux-64 binary is ligatured.
Therefore, system's installed fonts etc. are no relation of this problem.

I think that the reason of opposite result is different compiler version.
I use GUB's gcc-4.9.2.
Lilypond 2.19.16 and 2.19.17 official binary is compiled by GUB's gcc-4.9.2.
Therefore, it might be the same result as mine
when you use the latest official binary.

> I still suspect a Pango bug that has probably been fixed in the not
> too distant past.  What version are you using?  Can you upgrade to the
> most recent one?  On my 32bit GNU/Linux I use a quite recent git
> version of Pango, which should behave identically to the last release
> (1.36.8), and everything's just fine.

GUB's pango is 1.26.0.
https://github.com/gperciva/gub/blob/master/gub/specs/pango.py#L18
I think that it is too old.

Pango 1.26.2 and 1.28.0 had some ligature related bugfixes.
https://git.gnome.org/browse/pango/tree/NEWS#n306
https://git.gnome.org/browse/pango/tree/NEWS#n288

I'll try to upgrade GUB's pango to 1.28.3 or 1.26.2.
Pango 1.28.4 requires glib 2.24.0.
However, GUB's glib is 2.21.5.
Therefore, in order to upgrade to newer pango,
it is necessary to also upgrade glib.