Re: ligature issue 2656 (was Re: Ghostscript 9.15)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: ligature issue 2656 (was Re: Ghostscript 9.15)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:17:19 +0100

Am 26.03.2015 um 16:12 schrieb David Kastrup:
Masamichi HOSODA <address@hidden> writes:

I've succeed GUB's ``make lilypond'' by pango-1.28.3 in this branch.
https://github.com/trueroad/gub/tree/pango-1.28

I've checked again.
I've installed DejaVuSans to all environments.

   linux-64 binary on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit:
   linux-x86 binary on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit:
   linux-x86 binary on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32 bit:
   linux-ppc binary on Debian PPC:
   freebsd-64 binary on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE 64 bit:
   freebsd-x86 binary on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE 64 bit:
   freebsd-x86 binary on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE 32 bit:
   mingw binary on Windows 8.1 64 bit:
     Ligatured PDFs are generated in all environments.

   darwin-x86 binary:
     Untested
     My Intel Mac environment was quite a temporary.
     Now, I don't have it.

   darwin-ppc binary:
     Untested
     I can't prepare PowerPC Mac.
I think (but can't guarantee it) that the original report showed
characters from the same font.  So it might have been a different issue
than the one caused by having different platform fonts involved.

At any rate, it would appear that at the current point of time, a
variant of the actual problem, whether it is the original problem or
not, exists mainly for the situation of Pango choosing platform fonts
without explicit and/or intentional instructions to do so.

The issues discussed in this thread have quite diversified:

- Updating GUB to a newer Ghostscript
- Ligatures not being produced on all platforms
- Updating Pango which solved this
- Pango picking system fonts, resulting in unpredictable output
- thinking about choosing default fonts for sans-serif and monospace

The latter two are quite anrelated to the first three, and Masamichi seems to have completed research and work on the first three items.

So while this doesn't do _anything_ with regard to the latter two issues it s a welcome improvement.

Urs