Re: New page on website

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: New page on website
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 09:28:11 -0700 (MST)

Urs Liska wrote
> I would like to add a companion page to examples.html on lilypond.org
> (in theory extending the existing page would be good too, but that would
> definitely become too long, I think).
>
> This page would show a number of idiomatic engravings using a selected
> range of the new alternative fonts, which I'm collecting right now. We
> *do* offer that feature now, so it should be quite prominently visible,
> as it is something that potential (and of course existing) users will
> find interesting.
>
> But before I put significant effort in this I'd like to get an idea if
> that would encounter significant headwind.

Hi Urs,

Sounds like a nice addition to me.  I'd be fine with going ahead as you've
proposed it.

That said, I've been thinking about the idea of showing examples on the home
page.[1]  The simplest way would be to move some of the examples from the
examples page.  It could just be one or two of them as a "teaser" (with a
link to the examples page for more) but maybe it would make sense to move
most (or all?) of them to the home page and then put the rest, including the
new ones showing different fonts, on the examples page.

In that scenario we'd probably want to move most of the news items off the
front page to make room, and figure out the best way to organize having both
news and examples there.  So that would need to be worked out.

I think the examples are good for the home page because they are relevant to
new visitors, quickly showing what Lilypond can do.  Having one or two news
items (with a link to more) is good just to show activity.

What do people think?  Is this approach worth exploring?

-Paul

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-02/msg00211.html