Re: Add French-specific note names (issue 239930043 by address@hidden)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add French-specific note names (issue 239930043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 10:38:58 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Reviewers: ,
>
> Message:
> Greetings everybody,
> here’s an itch I’ve been wanting to scratch for the past decade or so:
> as a French user, having to type "re" instead of "ré" feels unnatural
> (and it still does after ten years); it is not uncommon that my scores
> fail to compile because I’ve inadvertently typed "ré" somewhere in the
> source code.
>
> It’s also affecting newcomers to LilyPond, judging from my students; a
> few years ago, I had added \language "français" as an alias to
> "italiano" hoping that it would make things easier to explain, but that
> particular oddity remains to this day.

Well, with notenames like "re" it should have been \language
"francais"...  I think we even had this at one time.  No wait, that was
"espanol".

> I know that accented chars in the source code is not something
> traditional coders want to have, but LilyPond has been utf8-based for
> quite a while now so this shouldn’t be too disruptive a change.

It's actually the few files containing UTF-8 characters which currently
are messing up our GUILE-2 conversion.  But it's not like we could make
do without them either.

> This also brings the -x double-sharp suffix to
> French input language (an unrelated but welcome addition).

Shouldn't Italian have this also then?