Re: Add French-specific note names (issue 239930043 by address@hidden)

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Add French-specific note names (issue 239930043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 21:20:23 +0200

El 18/05/2015 20:20, <address@hidden> escribió:

> On 2015/05/18 17:38:22, dak wrote:
>>
>> It does not have non-ASCII notenames, so you might end up with
>
> "español" being
>>
>> the only non-ASCII word in the file
>

> How much of a potential problem is it? Even in the absence of non-ASCII
> chars, users are already strongly encouraged to use UTF8 encoding in
> their source files.

I'd favor plain keys, common in most keyboards of the world, over the
'ASCII only' doctrine.  The problem I see with 'español' only and
deprecating 'espanol' (a non-word) is that not only Spanish keyboard users
suppossedly will want to use the keyword. I'd like to have both as mutual
aliases, so to say. I will not use either of them anyway but they are good
to have.

Besides, this is the status for Spanish users: 'ñ' is a non-shift-needing
key in a very prominent place. On the contrary, the very lilypondish
'{}[]\' set are all hidden under AltGr.

> Historically, I suspect the only reason why we’ve been stuck with
> "espanol" for so long is because it was in fact a file name: \include
> "espanol.ly" (and special chars in filenames are tricky when you’re
> taking into account multiple platforms).
>
> Now that the \language command has been introduced (for several years, I
> might add), that reason has become moot so it’s only logical to complete
> the transformation and make full use of accented chars in language names
> (if not in note names, as we’ve seen).

I don't oppose but the alias is cheap. Spanish note names are not accented.

BTW dear lazylist: where do you have the 'ñ' on your keyboards?

--
Paco