Re: Issue 4622: create a <Part-combiner> class (issue 265260043 by addre

From: dak
Subject: Re: Issue 4622: create a <Part-combiner> class (issue 265260043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 12:58:38 +0000

On 2015/09/30 12:18:07, Dan Eble wrote:
On 2015/09/30 11:23:11, dak wrote:

> I don't see where you want to be going with this patch.  What is it
supposed
> make easier for the programmer or the user?

Well, for the typical user, nothing.  For people like me, it reduces
the amount
of internal Lilypond code that must be duplicated to combine parts
with
non-default settings (e.g. without solo passages).  With master, I
need to
duplicate make-directed-part-combine-music.  After this patch, I will
be able to
create my own <Part-combiner> and say just this:

dfeVoiceCombine =
#(define-music-function (part1 part2)
    (ly:music? ly:music?)
    (combine-two-parts-center dfe-voice-part-combiner part1 part2))

Also the internal code is better organized (IMO).  The process (parts
-> event
lists -> split list ...) is more obvious.  The dependence on specific