Python 3 (was: 2.20 where are we?)

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Python 3 (was: 2.20 where are we?)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 10:52:19 +0200

Am Samstag, den 21.09.2019, 12:09 +1000 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
> So let me get this straight.
>
> It's not the case that GUB is completely broken. We can still build
> releases.
>
> DK is working steadily to cherry pick items for 2.20.
>
> Python 2 to Python 3 is a major issue.
>
> So, I offered to do the 2->3 port a long time ago but circumstances
> prevented me from doing so. Would it be constructive if I launched into
> that aspect? I cant understand the lilypond internals code but I have
> extensive Python experience.
>
> Would this be helpful to moving forward?
>
> But have people already started on this, I thought?

I've also started looking into this and used the branch
dev/knupero/lilypy3devel as a starting point (see also
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2019-08/msg00014.html).

On top of that I've worked on the attached patches which brings the
make targets check / test and doc back to life with Python 3.7.4. Maybe
they can be added to the branch mentioned above to serve as a single
source of truth? I know the third patch is pretty large, let me know if
I should try to split it up...

As I'm pretty new to the development of Lilypond, I'm not really sure
if there's something else to do in the source code repository itself?
I'm pretty sure I didn't get to run through all error branches in all
scripts, but the targets mentioned in the documentation work for me
right now. If not, sounds like working on GUB would be next?

Regards,
Jonas