Re: Python 3

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Python 3
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 13:38:19 +0200

Jonas Hahnfeld via lilypond-devel <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Sure, that is the usual suggestion. But I'm not sure if that is
>>
>> > really helpful here because none of these changes will do anything
>>
>> > on its own.
>>

>> What do you mean with `none will do anything on its own'?
>>
>> > So my question is whether the patch is too large to go as one "fix
>>
>> > that script for Python 3"?
>>

>> Well, I prefer a series of patches instead of a single patch.
>
> Ok, I'll split the third one. My concern was that a single part of the
> series won't bring any benefit on its own. So for example only
> changing the division operator will not make musicxml2ly work with
> Python 3.

Personally I am here more with you than with Werner here: as long as all
changes are of a similar character not achieving an identifiable goal of
their own (or being the result of running some script that may warrant
rerunning because of required fixes or because of getting applied to a
different branch with different code in it), I don't see the point into
splitting them into separate commits.