Re: Grow heap aggressively during music interpretation (issue 561390043

From: jonas . hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Grow heap aggressively during music interpretation (issue 561390043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 10:50:50 -0800

On 2020/02/02 22:33:50, hanwenn wrote:
> For testing, use
>
> https://github.com/hanwen/lilypond/tree/guile22-experiment

So I ran this with the large example and I see
GC Warning: Failed to expand heap by 30635458560 bytes
a few times (that's 30 GB, my laptop only has 8 GB!!) and finally
warning: g_spawn_sync failed (0): gs: Failed to fork (Cannot allocate
memory)
Maybe exponential growth is not the best choice here? At least my system
can't handle this score anymore.

Also most of the 'speedup' by this patch seems to come from segments
_after_ music interpretation (only 10% improvement in music
interpretation, but around 2x for the total time). I think the later
parts just benefit from the enormous heap because GC doesn't need to run
at all? But that's not really the idea of this patch, is it?

https://codereview.appspot.com/561390043/