Re: Issue 5739: Add makefile targets for formatting all C++ code (issue

From: nine . fierce . ballads
Subject: Re: Issue 5739: Add makefile targets for formatting all C++ code (issue 565620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 11:23:03 -0800

On 2020/02/05 17:52:20, dak wrote:
> configure.ac:367: STEPMAKE_PROGS(CLANG_FORMAT, clang-format-9
clang-format,
> OPTIONAL, 9, 9)
> Interesting.  This gives a warning when it isn't installed?  I think
that we
> don't usually flag dependencies of components not involved in either
building or
> running LilyPond.  For example, we provide Emacs and vi style files
without
> checking for availability of either editor.

Yes, it gives a warning.  If this is a problem, IMO its is a shortcoming
of the configuration system: failing to distinguish between simply
optional programs and strongly recommended programs.  There's a similar
issue with tidy.  If it's there, we want to take advantage of it, but
warning the dev that it is missing is a nuisance.

https://codereview.appspot.com/565620043/