Re: How to deal with failing 'make test-bseline'

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: How to deal with failing 'make test-bseline'
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 16:35:46 +0100

Am So., 9. Feb. 2020 um 16:12 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Bringing some offlist-discussion back to the list because it may
> > interest more people
> >
> > Am So., 9. Feb. 2020 um 12:44 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> >
> >> The output of "make test" starts with a line "for tracing crashes, run
> >> the following command" followed by some obscure grep recipe.  I have no
> >> idea what this recipe does, but I have no idea how people have a chance
> >> to find problems without using it.
> >>
> >> In this case, it pinpointed the problematic file, and running that
> >> manually gave the error message in question.
> >
> > Ok.
> > I started from scratch (without #5743), thus 'make test-baseline' _should_
> > fail.
> > And it does.
> >
> > The message
> > Please see
> > /home/hermann/lilypond-git/build/out/lybook-testdb/snippet-names-4cf679323625678e6dfeeb9e33801c5e.log
> > points to a log-file containing nothing else than the version.
> >
> > Doing
> > ~/lilypond-git/build (master)$ grep sourcefilename `grep -L
> > systems.texi out/lybook-testdb/*/*log|sed s/log/ly/g`
> > returns:
> > \sourcefilename "/home/hermann/lilypond-git/input/regression/slur-rest.ly"
> > Compiling input/regression/slur-rest.ly works like a charm, though.
> >
> > So what does this mean?
>
> That slur-rest.ly was likely on the slate of LilyPond when this bombed
> out.

Ok, so how to get a meaningful error-message then?

> Did you manually compile using
>
> out/bin/lilypond input/regression/slur-rest.ly
>
> or did you use some other command line?

I use a special 'lilypond-git'-command, built after the
'lilypond'-command which an installet would put into /bin
Though, redoing with
out/bin/lilypond input/regression/slur-rest.ly
leads to the same result.

> It is worth noting that
> slur-rest.ly looks very harmless.
>
> Only ASCII characters and the single occurence of # is as
>
> \layout { ragged-right = ##t }

Yep

> > Am I missing something?
> > Or is the whole repo corrupted and I should restart with a fesh clone?
> > (At least this is not the repo I push from...)
>
> I don't think corruption can easily explain that.

Anyway, right now I retry with a fresh clone.
I'll post results later. Will take some time...

Thanks,
  Harm