Re: How to deal with failing 'make test-bseline'

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: How to deal with failing 'make test-bseline'
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 23:36:39 +0100

Am So., 9. Feb. 2020 um 20:17 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I've rerun with
> > CPU_COUNT=3 make -j3 test
> > with success, i.e. the errored file is grepped.
>
> No idea why more cores help here.
>
> > I usally use 3 not 5, because of limited memory.
>
> How limited?  What kind of SODIMM could you use for extending?  I think
> there is a reasonable chance of either me or some other reader on this
> list having retired something that would help in cases where 5 threads
> of compilation are already too much.

Well, my current laptop is slow and limited in many regards.
Obviously this has disadvantages, otoh it educates me to do things efficient.
It was selled as a laptop for starters. I went for it because I was
very upset by a couple of very nice and expensive ones which broke
soonish. grrr
The lifetime of my current laptop already exceeds any of my previous
ones, if not all together.

Otoh, I think the end of it is not so far in the future. Thus I think
it makes little sense to tune it up, instead I likely should look for
a new, better and robust one.

Thanks,
  Harm