Re: 2.20.0 release coordination with translation. Other showstoppers?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 2.20.0 release coordination with translation. Other showstoppers?
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 23:54:24 +0100

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> Il giorno sab 22 feb 2020 alle 19:25, David Kastrup <address@hidden> ha
> scritto:
>> German Changes file has been added by now.  Where are we with regard
>> the other translations?  Federico?
>
> I'm still working on it.
> My spare time is limited and the changes by Werner requires a lot of
> meticulous edits.
>
> If you want to release tomorrow, let me know and I'll push tonight
> what I manage to do. Then the rest of the update might be included in
> 2.20.2.
> Or, if you prefer waiting for the whole italian update, I will advise
> when I've completed it. I cannot say now how long it will take
> exactly. Probably not before tomorrow night.

My principle plan would be to tell Phil to go ahead (after receiving the
last OK from people doing last-minute work) at a point of time where he
thinks he may be somewhat responsive in the followup days, just in case
something hits the fan.

One interesting consideration is that the VERSION file upon release
should look like

PACKAGE_NAME=LilyPond
MAJOR_VERSION=2
MINOR_VERSION=20
PATCH_LEVEL=0
MY_PATCH_LEVEL=
VERSION_STABLE=2.20.0
VERSION_DEVEL=2.20.0

basically announcing the same versions as stable and unstable since
2.20.0 will both be the latest stable release as well as the latest
release altogether.  Things will normalise once we get a followup
unstable release.

I seem to remember that if we declared VERSION_DEVEL to point to a yet
unreleased 2.21.0, the links would essentially end up dead.

So there are little quirks like that accompanying a stable release that
might cause followup work.  So "last day of weekend" sounds only
sensible if Phil is not considerably unavailable afterwards.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".