Re: Issue 5788: New French Beamimg Approach (issue 557500043 by address@

From: torsten . haemmerle
Subject: Re: Issue 5788: New French Beamimg Approach (issue 557500043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 05:06:30 -0800

On 2020/02/24 06:44:39, hanwenn wrote:
> One thing to consider: since the mechanics are now very predictable,
maybe we
> can name the property in after its mechanics? ie. french-correction ->
> stem-end-shorten or something?

After having thought about it for quite a while I'm not too happy with
"stem-end-shorten", for the following reasons:

The term "end" does not carry any information, because stems can only be
shortened at their end, as their starting point is nailed to a notehead.
;)
There already are stem-shortenish properties in standard stem processing
(beamed-stem-shorten and stem-shorten).

Most importantly, the french-correction property is different from all
the other shortenish propertie in so far as all of them will heavily
influence the layout (affecting overall positioning), but
"french-correction" is the only property that will shorten the stem for
printing only, leaving all positioning aspects untouched.

Therefore, I'll very much like to have it called something with "french"
in it to emphasize the special role it plays in French beaming (and
really *nowhere* else).

Would "french-shorten" be a viable compromise?

Thanks for looking into this,
Torsten

https://codereview.appspot.com/557500043/