Re: Blockers for Guile 2.2

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Blockers for Guile 2.2
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:13:33 +0100

Am Samstag, dem 19.02.2022 um 23:21 +0100 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via
Discussions on LilyPond development:
> Am Samstag, dem 19.02.2022 um 23:05 +0100 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
> > > Plus, your plan of keeping code for Guile 1.8 doesn't work / make sense
> > > without keeping GUB working. That is far more complicated and prevents
> > > many future changes.
> >
> > Right now, it is in a working state.
>
> Because I kept it working so far.

Oh and btw, it's currently not possible to create a new setup of GUB
because the URL for expat 2.1.0 disappeared. It only works if you
already have a compiled version of it around. There might be other
problems, but I won't bother looking into it.

> > I am like St Thomas and need examples to be convinced by 'many'. Even for
> > Cairo there is a solution in GUB.
>
> One example is https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/5831,
> another is
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2020-08/msg00159.html
> where (I think) we shouldn't install the fonts as part of LilyPond's
> build system. Both of them would require updates to GUB, which I
> honestly don't want to make.

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1210 will depend
on new packages to build the documentation, likely requiring an update
of at least the environment GUB can be run in.
It's not yet clear (to me) what is needed to make LilyPond fully work
with Guile 3.0. If that again involves special code per Guile version,
it will be a lot easier if we don't have to support Guile 1.8, 2.2, and
version 3.0 at the same time.
I potentially would like to rewrite lilypond-invoke-editor in Python
because it's the only script using the Guile interpreter. Again, I
can't / don't want to do this right now because it would require an
update of the wrapper scripts generated by GUB.

I'm sure I'll be able to find other issues if you want more.