Re: To branch or not to branch

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: To branch or not to branch
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 15:40:03 +0200

On Wed, 2022-10-05 at 15:08 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Le 05/10/2022 à 14:48, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
> > On Sun, 2022-10-02 at 16:22 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> > > I think we should branch now. What do others think?
> >
> > Needless to say that I agree, but as you witnessed nobody else bothers
> > to reply.
>
> Silence means consent.

How can you consent to a question, whether to branch or not? This time
I even explicitly asked for thoughts. A (stable) release should be a
team effort, that's not something a single person should or want to
decide...

> For you, when would be a good time to branch? I suppose it depends
> on your personal schedule to do the 2.24 release.

We need an entirely new schedule. If we were to branch, I think we
should do 2.23.14 first because it has a number of new features and
even convertrules...

> > Discussions on MRs opened during the weekend also showed me
> > that we're not even on one page for what should still go in before
> > branching,
>
> For what it's worth, if you are talking about !1652 (texinfo.tex
> update) and !1648 (extractpdfmark workaround), I agree with you
> on those.

and !1650 (\simple markup) - at least there I got support from David.

> > and now it seems you went back to feature development.
>
> Not really. I've just flushed my queue of mini-features because
> I've equally experienced tiredness.

For me, that's more "yes" than "not really"...