Re: To branch or not to branch

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: To branch or not to branch
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 22:31:21 +0200

On Wed, 2022-10-05 at 17:23 +0000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > There are two dimensions here: First, I personally think it doesn't
> > make sense to create a stable branch from a random commit.  It
> > doesn't have to be perfect, but it should fulfill some basic
> > criteria of "stable".  This is best tested after a development
> > release, which is what the original schedule planned for.  It also
> > works best if no more breaking changes are merged, and we
> > concentrate on fixing issues in well-localized changes...
>
> Honestly, I think that your criteria for creating pre-release of 2.24
> are too rigid.  As far as I can see, doing a 2.23.80 release *right
> now* is the way to go.

Fine, if you disagree with the plan laid out in August, I invite you to
volunteer taking care of the releases and the related procedures. There
are reasons behind branching after a development release and only doing
the release candidate from the branch that make me believe it would
still be the right way to go.

Jonas