Re: To branch or not to branch

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: To branch or not to branch
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 17:42:38 +0200

On Wed, 2022-10-05 at 14:57 +0000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > Discussions on MRs opened during the weekend also showed me that
> > we're not even on one page for what should still go in before
> > branching,
>
> As mentioned, I leave this decision to you: Please define a commit
> that you want to use for branching.

There are two dimensions here: First, I personally think it doesn't
make sense to create a stable branch from a random commit. It doesn't
have to be perfect, but it should fulfill some basic criteria of
"stable". This is best tested after a development release, which is
what the original schedule planned for. It also works best if no more
breaking changes are merged, and we concentrate on fixing issues in
well-localized changes...

And while 2.23.13 resolved a number of critical issues, it wasn't
exactly as good as I had hoped for. Hence, I explicitly asked what
others think, to which only Kevin and Jean replied. Which brings me to
second point: I'm not going to create something as important as a
stable branch unless I know that this is what a majority of other
developers want. Otherwise I'm just going to get yelled at. I had this
in May, I don't need this again.