Re: source file ... .scm newer than compiled ... .go file

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: source file ... .scm newer than compiled ... .go file
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 20:41:54 +0200

Il giorno dom 16 ott 2022 alle 12:18:25 +0200, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> ha scritto:
Le 14/10/2022 à 19:55, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development a écrit :
For the records, another application using Guile (GNU Cash) had the
same problem with flatpak three years ago.
Their workaround was disabling recompilation. Bad idea or good idea?
https://github.com/flathub/org.gnucash.GnuCash/blob/master/patches/0001-Never-recompile.patch
Not really great. On the other hand, you only need a very targeted
installation and don't expect a fully functional Guile...

Try really hard to avoid this. Some LilyPond libraries are written in
.scm files, like a lot of the stuff in openLilyLib. It is important
to use compilation (by running with GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=1) in order
to get helpful error messages when something goes wrong there. If this
patch is used, as soon as one run with GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=1 has been
done, changes in the .scm files will have no effect, which is going
to be very confusing for the user ...

I'm afraid I have no alternative. The LilyPond 2.23.x version in flatpak doesn't currently work. I don't know when it started breaking, as I usually tested the stable only.
I opened a PR which makes 2.23.x work again:
https://github.com/flathub/org.frescobaldi.Frescobaldi/pull/14

openLilyLib is used by a small number of users, I think, probably not even using flatpak. In case of problems they can still download and use the official LilyPond binaries.

Open issue which did not receive any feedback from flatpak developers:
https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/3064
Yes, this would need proper addressing for use cases such as Guile
bytecode compilation.

CPython has a system roughly similar to Guile's; how does packaging
Python libraries work in Flatpak?

I don't know. Do you know some Python libraries which may need a similar feature?