Re: Turkish makam

From: Luca Fascione
Subject: Re: Turkish makam
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:35:04 +0100

Right, I see. Thanks for explaining Adam, this is obviously a world I have
not seen until now,
and a very interesting new way of thinking about music and its written form.

To give you a better sense of where I was coming from, imagine that a
person sits down to write a piece,
this person having a need for one of the makams that are not already in
turkish-makam.ly (for the sake of argument, let's say this is "neva")
Assuming that this particular makam is one of the more uncommon ones,
wouldn't it be simpler to just have something like

neva = #(define-makam g a bfc c d e fb)

and then later in the file

\key g \neva

(I do realize the notes and key are the wrong ones, of course, I just
copied your example for rast here just so I had something concrete to type
down)

I guess I'm thinking: if it's the case that only ever a few files could
exist in these more rare forms,
it seems that there wouldn't be much value in having them in the global
file, including the fact that
for the person needing to engrave such a piece they'd need to either alter
the distribution or wait for
an update before they can proceed. Or is my thinking missing some aspect
here?

I'm saying this because this is a common pattern in software engineering:
providing common
constructs in libraries, and augment this with enough extension mechanisms
so that uncommon
things can be achieved, through a potentially less convenient route.

--
Luca Fascione