Re: Musings on our translated documentation build

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Musings on our translated documentation build
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:20:12 +0100

Hi all,

sorry for dropping the ball on this topic...

On Wed, 2023-01-04 at 23:36 +0100, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
LilyPond development wrote:
> On Wed, 2023-01-04 at 22:58 +0100, Federico Bruni wrote:
> > Il giorno mer 4 gen 2023 alle 14:39:47 +0100, Jonas Hahnfeld
> > <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> ha scritto:
> >

> 1. All @ref{Translated} become @ref{Origin}, but as far as I understand
> that may actually be an advantage.
> 2. All @ruser{Translated} become @rusernamed{Origin,Translated}, ie you
> have to provide both the original @node *and* the translated display
> text. For @unnumberedsec, we may even need a third argument to get the
> anchor correct - not sure how often that is actually needed.

Actually, I'm not even sure if it's possible to reference a target that
is not the @node determining the file name. I haven't found a way so
far with "native" Texinfo tools... I will keep looking or actually
educate myself why we have a custom splitting mode and whether we want
to keep it.

> > I would like to see a test for a language in order to better understand.

Here's a proof-of-concept for the French Usage Manual (sorry, if I had
correctly remembered that it was you and not Jean-Charles, I would have
picked an Italian manual):
https://gitlab.com/hahnjo/lilypond/-/commits/poc-no-xref-maps
It works for all links inside the Usage Manual and cross-references to
other manuals (e.g. the NR), except for those to unnumbered sections
(see above). Note that external links into the French Usage Manual are
broken, the other manuals would need similar treatment.

> > Would you take care of all the changes required in translated files?
> > ("swapping" @translationof and @section, changing the @ref occurrences,
> > ...)
>
> Yes, this would be automated, I hope.

(the above proof-of-concept was mostly by hand, but I'm certainly going
to write a script for the actual conversion...)

Jonas