Re: Musings on our translated documentation build

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Musings on our translated documentation build
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 17:31:47 +0100

On Mon, 2023-03-13 at 22:20 +0100, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
LilyPond development wrote:
> On Wed, 2023-01-04 at 23:36 +0100, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
> LilyPond development wrote:
> > 1. All @ref{Translated} become @ref{Origin}, but as far as I understand
> > that may actually be an advantage.
> > 2. All @ruser{Translated} become @rusernamed{Origin,Translated}, ie you
> > have to provide both the original @node *and* the translated display
> > text. For @unnumberedsec, we may even need a third argument to get the
> > anchor correct - not sure how often that is actually needed.
>
> Actually, I'm not even sure if it's possible to reference a target that
> is not the @node determining the file name. I haven't found a way so
> far with "native" Texinfo tools... I will keep looking or actually
> educate myself why we have a custom splitting mode and whether we want
> to keep it.

I come to the conclusion that it's not possible to have cross-manual
references to an @unnumberedsec whose file name is determined by a
different @node. I'm proposing to remove our custom split mode in
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1885.