Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:06:09 -0800

On 2008-11-02 at 11:37, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Can anybody explain why 90% of all the newcomers who send a "how do I run the program" or "how do I install the program" or similar, send it to bug-lilypond instead of lilypond-user? Where on the web is the bug mailing list so much more visible than the usage list? Or, perhaps we have some misleading instruction somewhere?

Besides the very good discussion going on, I can answer the original question: people post to the bug list because they can, and they have no idea that it matters or even that there's another list. Also, "program won't run" is obviously a bug, everybody knows that. :)

Perhaps every time the bugs list is mentioned anywhere, it should come with a notice "The bugs list is for the Lilypond programmers only. For any kind of help with the software, please write to [link to user list]".

I know, that part about programmers is perhaps not strictly 100% true, but it's what newbies should hear.

David