Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 04:56:58 -0800

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 01:21:44PM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> You have a point... but I still don't think we want to bring more
> trafic to -user.

I disagree.  I'd rather have normal users answering clueless
newbie posts rather than you or other people reading bug-lilypond.

> I agree to say our website is currently not newbie-friendly enough.

Mao, the current website isn't *me*-friendly enough.

> If I had a suggestion to make about the bug-list, that would be to
> have a dedicated space for newbies (a mailing-list, a forum, or both
> integrated together thanks to the use of Nabble2). For instance, I
> know that info-lilypond was originally meant to post announcements,
> but we could turn it into a general "want informations about lilypond?
> Post here." list.

I don't support hijacking info-lilypond, but I halfway support a
lilypond-beginner list.  I promise to never read it, thereby
saving numerous beginners from the horror of my accurate RTFM
posts.  However, I'd be tempted to check it from time to time, in
case anything interesting was happening.

To save us all from that, it would be great if there was some
enthusiastic person who liked to read half a dozen mailists, who
could write weekly or biweekly summaries of anything interesting
that happened on those mailists.  That way we'd all know if we
missed anything good.  These messages -- we could even go so far
as to call them "reports" -- could also keep the less-active
members of the community informed.  Of course, if these stop
coming after a few months, we won't have gained anything.

Cheers,
- Graham