Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:21:44 +0100

2008/11/4 Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>:

> For us who follow the bug mailing list, it's not a problem to answer these
> questions, but it's a bit annoying for the poor
> newcomer that she/he has to receive a "next time you have a usage question,
> please use the lilypond-user mailing list instead".

You have a point... but I still don't think we want to bring more
trafic to -user.

I agree to say our website is currently not newbie-friendly enough. It
needs to be rethought with that in mind (and I will have many concrete
proposals to make about that --  in a few weeks, when I get a life).

Certainly, the FAQ needs to be rewritten; granted, a page like
Francisco's wouldn't hurt. Still, what makes our users hang on, what
makes our community strong and pleasant, is that we *do* welcome and
help newcomers; not a single "where are teh buttonz" mail ever remains
unanswered, and this is (IMNSHO) good.

If I had a suggestion to make about the bug-list, that would be to
have a dedicated space for newbies (a mailing-list, a forum, or both
integrated together thanks to the use of Nabble2). For instance, I
know that info-lilypond was originally meant to post announcements,
but we could turn it into a general "want informations about lilypond?
Post here." list. (And nabble could allow us to embed this list as a
forum on our website, it merely requires one line of JavaScript.)

Cheers,
Valentin