Re: date in footer?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: date in footer?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 01:10:56 +0800

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:31:22AM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> And we really (IMO) need to be doing it as part of moving to a 2.12 LSR.
> We should also be evaluating:
>
> A) Does it run in 2.12?
> B) Is it needed in 2.12 (i.e. has 2.12 introduced new features such that
> the snippet become irrelevant)?

There aren't so many new features in 2.12.  And only the
doc-related snippets need to be evaluated.

> > I'm estimating 20 hours to organize the current lot, plus 1 hour
> > per month.
>
> With checking for vriable names, 2.12 validity, etc. I estimate about 15
> minutes per snippet (although the time may go down as skill goes up).

15 minutes is way too high.  90% of them can be done in 2 minutes.
And the snippets that can't be fixed in that time will have great
educational value, so if we can find non-experts to do this, it'll
be much better.

>  With 448 files in the LSR

Including stuff from input/new/, we only have 288 snippets worth
examining.  cd input/lsr; ls | wc;

> I think we need more than one person.

I really don't think so, mostly because that means that we need to
hand out more LSR editorships.

Also, my original 20-hour estimate[1] was for good tag
organization.  Sure, there's many more tasks that can be done for
LSR.  If there's more interest (i.e. volunteers), we can always
tackle more.

[1] you may notice that 2*288/60 gives 9 hours, which is in line
with my "think of how long it would take me, then double it" rule
for estimation.

Cheers,
- Graham