Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:08:31 -0500

Hi David,

It's not as bad as the numbers suggest. The ratio of serious developers
who will balk at getting their development environment up and running
will not be all that large.

That may be true, but irrelevant to my point: the vast majority of the potential/actual "serious [new] developers" for Lilypond don't/ won't use Linux — any additional obstacle (over the Linux setup) needs to be addressed and removed, if we are to attract those (desperately needed) new developers.

I think that the user base is affected more than the developer base.

Possibly, but again irrelevant (or at least orthogonal) to the discussion: I think that 100% of the new developer base will have started as part of the user base, since it seems unlikely to the point of impossibility that a random non-Lilypond-using developer (Linux-based or otherwise) will suddenly decide to join the dev team out of sheer good will.

Regards,
Kieren.