Re: Lilypond for blind musicians

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Lilypond for blind musicians
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 23:02:18 +0100

Hi all!
I have some little questiosn for you guys:
Are there any  blind musician or composer that’' use lilypond regularly?

I think there are a few in this list. It would be nice if they shared their experience here so we might add some tips to the documentation.

Is there a software like Frescobaldi but more accessible using NVDA as my default screen reader?
I’ve tryed Frescobaldi but simply can’t use it because of it’s complete inaccessibility, at least for me.

I don't have any experience in this subject and I don't know how Frescobaldi could be improved to work better on a screen reader. I don't even know if it can work fine with any screen reader or operating system. You may try asking on frescobaldi group or opening an issue in the tracker:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/frescobaldi
https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/issues?state=open

Have you ever considered trying Linux?
Here you can find some information on Orca, the default screen reader of the Gnome desktop:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Orca/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

You may first try a live cd, to test it without installing:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Could you tell mee how to use midi2ly converter?
Have I to put it in my midi folder for its use?

You should use the command line. Please read this page and let us know if you have any problem:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage/invoking-midi2ly