Re: StaffGroup bracket cut off by lilypond-book (issue 720)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: StaffGroup bracket cut off by lilypond-book (issue 720)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 20:53:51 -0400

Hi Joram,

> would you mind describing the workflow in a bit more details?

Here’s what I do:

1. Using Frescobaldi (or, of course, just Lilypond by itself), generate the
music score as a PDF.

2. Using TeXShop, compile the following template (n.b. this is slightly
simplified, and does not include the title page and endmatter \input
files/templates, which are common/similar/shared across all my scores):

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
\documentclass[9pt]{extarticle}
\usepackage[letterpaper, margin=1.25in, tmargin=1in, bmargin=1in]{geometry}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\pagestyle{empty}
\usepackage{multicol}
\setlength{\columnsep}{36pt}
\setlength{\parskip}{0pt}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Crimson Text}
\usepackage{import}

\begin{document}
\baselineskip = 1.33em

%%%%  TITLE PAGE
%: Title Page
\def\pieceTitle{Berceuse\\[0.15em] for Benjamin}
\def\pieceInstrumentation{piano solo}
\def\pieceYear{2008}
\input{../../_include/shared/files/titlepage_letter}

%%%%  SCORE
%: Score
\newpage
\includepdf[pages={1-},scale=1]{Berceuse_piano_letter}

%%%%  ENDMATTER
%: Endmatter
\def\pieceURL{http://www.kierenmacmillan.info/berceuse}
\input{../../_include/shared/files/endmatter}

\end{document}

3. Enjoy the fruits of the labours of many, many brilliant programmers.  ;)

> 1. Do you put something special in your .ly files like \include
> lilypond-book-preamble? Or do you just set the tagline to false? Or
> something else?

Nothing fancy in the .ly files.

> 2. What's the benefit of pdfcrop? When using the preamble, I see no
> difference between cropped and original – probably because it is already
> cropped as thight as possible.

I don’t use pdfcrop — I simply have Lilypond output the PDF file at the desired
final output size.

> 3. Is it possible to write your workflow down in a way that is easy to
> reproduce? Something like a ly-template and a list of commands.

My current .ly template system is very [indeed, overly] complex,
non-documented, etc., and so I wouldn’t inflict it on you. (I have the ongoing
intention of simplifying all my templates and stylesheets, getting them into
version control, and sharing them with the whole ‘Pond… but I seem to have the
enviable obstacle that I’m constantly working on composing new commissions, so
my “spare time” is very limited.)

> In latex, I guess it is just a matter of \includegraphics{ ... } ?

Precisely (cf. the template included above).

If you have more questions, or want to see a sample final PDF, just let me know!

Hope this helps,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info