Re: How to build LilyPond.app on macOS?

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: How to build LilyPond.app on macOS?
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 12:46:35 +0100

Dear Davide,

On 6 December 2016 at 10:50, Davide Liessi wrote:
> Dear Mojca,

>> I would like to see LilyPond.app being distributed in a package
>> manager, but for that to happen I first need to understand how to
>> build it.
>
> You surely know that there is a Portfile for Lilypond (both stable and
> development) in MacPorts.

Yes, I know and I'm happily using it, I was asking about LilyPond.app
bundle specifically.

> As others have already said, Homebrew has a formula for Lilypond.

Not interested in HB. Period.

> As far as I know, the .app provides only the builtin editor, but I
> wouldn't use it for anything past the very first example file.
> May I ask why would you want a package manager to provide the .app?

(a) There might be users who are "afraid of command line" (sure, they
might already stop at installation instructions for MP), so the simple
GUI with pre-loaded hello world document and the "Typeset" button
might still be useful to some.

(b) See the attached screenshot. If I click, I'm transferred to
LilyPond.app and I end up in the correct line and column to fix my
mistakes. With some notes:

    (b.1) Usually this works. With the example in the screenshot with
non-ascii characters in the file name this is broken however and
LilyPond.app only opens a generic sample document. There must be a bug
somewhere, but I'm not sure where exactly.

    (b.2) I would actually like to know how to change the behaviour,
so that my favourite text editor opens rather than LilyPond.app.

(c) I was assuming that installing LilyPond.app might be doable
without too much hassle. In that case I would be interested in looking
into it. But if that's too much work, I would let it go.

And no, I'm not talking about the Frescobaldi frontend. That's a
different software.

Mojca