Re: How to build LilyPond.app on macOS?

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: How to build LilyPond.app on macOS?
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 19:25:44 +0100

Dear Graham,

On 6 December 2016 at 19:01, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 08:44:58AM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> I found
>>     http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/contributor-big-page
>> (didn't read it all) and only suspect that some logic might live in
>> GUB, but I'm pretty much lost for the moment.
>
> I am familiar with the process as of 4 years ago; it may have
> changed since then.  Much of it is in GUB, but the actual code for
> the editor is here:
> https://github.com/gperciva/lilypad

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for wrt. the GUI.

> This is compiled and uploaded to:
> http://lilypond.org/downloads/gub-sources/osx-lilypad-universal/osx-lilypad-universal-0.6.3.tar.gz
> and then GUB downloads that, inserts the cross-compiled
> command-line binary, and packages it.

I can luckily skip that part :)
Including instructions to fetch Python 2.6.
(I really wonder why LilyPond nowadays ships with Python 2.6.)

>> I would like to see LilyPond.app being distributed in a package
>> manager, but for that to happen I first need to understand how to
>> build it.
>
> As others have commented, the text editor included in the
> LilyPond.app is rather basic.

Yes, I'm aware.

> In addition, this whole process was
> created a decade ago.  If I were interested in the lilypond
> experience on OSX, I'd start looking at a new implementation:
> something that takes the compiled lilypond package (which I
> imagine can be easily done in homebrew or some other package
> manager),

This is off-topic, but the idea of a package manager is usually to
compile natively. I'm almost sure that Debian doesn't fetch your
binaries either.

But yes, outside of a package manager it would make sense to take that binary.

> then adds some sort of GUI shell or editor.

Redesigning the GUI for LilyPond is something that would likely
require more effort that I'm personally willing to spend for this. OS
X requires some kind of a GUI when distributing user-friendly apps;
with package managers this can be handled differently.

Mojca