Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations

From: Evan Driscoll
Subject: Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:42:41 -0500

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 6:26 AM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks for your feedback.  Feedback from new users is important for improving the Learning Manual.

Just so we're on the same page, I've been an occasional LilyPond user for many many years now; I was just saying that I'm not particularly familiar with collaboration or mailing list conventions, what your relationship is to the project and whether you're a frequenter contributer to LilyPond or not, etc. :-)

I thought that the combination of "Ties and slurs are indicated by adding special codes after the notes to which they apply" and "The starting note [of a slur] and ending note are marked with ( and ), respectively"  would be equivalent to the statement "Note that the ( marking the beginning of a slur appears after the first note of the slur".  And the "Note that ( and ) do not enclose the notes of the slur" was aimed at clarifying a somewhat common misconception.

Do you think it would be better to eliminate the "Ties and slurs are indicated by adding special codes after the notes to which they apply" and just say  about slurs:
 "The starting note and ending note are marked with ( and ), respectively.  Note that the ( marking the beginning of the slur appears after the first note of the slur."

That sounds good to me.

In case it's not clear, my pseudo-objection to the wording

+Note that @code{[} and @code{]} do not enclose the notes to be
+slurred.

is that the ( and ) literally *do* enclose the notes that are slurred, except for the first. I get that the intent seems somehow different between 'a( b c)' and '(a b c)' in terms of what the parens mean, but the 'b' and 'c' still are enclosed by the parens even in the LilyPond syntax.

Evan