Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 21:08:33 +0000

On 4/25/18, 1:46 PM, "Thomas Morley" <address@hidden> wrote:

    > There is a point that I was trying to make with these changes, without
jumping right out and saying it (because I couldn’t find a good place to jump
out and say it).  In LilyPond, *ALL* extra things that apply to a note are
added *after* a note, not before.

    To be complete.
    There's one exception I'm aware of: ligatures:
    \[ g' c, a' f d' \]

I wasn't aware of that.  I do note that this usage is formally deprecated, and
we have (indefinite) plans to move it to postfix notation.  Maybe that should
be a goal for 2.21 (and eventual inclusion in 2.22).  DavidK., you know the
parser and lexer.  How hard would it be to change the ligature start to postfix
notation?

My expectation is that the hardest part about it might be getting an effective
convert-ly rule.

    > And they are *not* added after a "note pitch".  A note consists of a
pitch plus a duration.  For a given note, either the pitch or the duration can
be implicit, which means they are not included in the input but instead get
their value from the previous note.  Following the note, we get all the
modifiers.

    > This pattern needs to be understood to be successful in working with
LilyPond.  Once you understand this, it's clear that you can't use the ABC
notation of enclosing a series of notes in parentheses.

    Reading this thread I looked for a LM section explaining this
    postfix-syntax and couldn't find any, did I overlook something?

There isn't one, and I couldn't find a good place for it before 2.1.3 ...

    If not,  think it should be inserted in section
    LM
    3. Fundamental concepts
    3.1 How LilyPond input files work

    My proposal:

<snip>

I love your proposal.  I'll work on adding it.  I may not put as much
information in as you have included.  But I'll get something going.

Thanks,

Carl