Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 23:17:00 +0200

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 4/25/18, 1:46 PM, "Thomas Morley" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     > There is a point that I was trying to make with these changes,
>     > without jumping right out and saying it (because I couldn’t find
>     > a good place to jump out and say it).  In LilyPond, *ALL* extra
>     > things that apply to a note are added *after* a note, not
>     > before.
>
>     To be complete.
>     There's one exception I'm aware of: ligatures:
>     \[ g' c, a' f d' \]
>
> I wasn't aware of that.  I do note that this usage is formally
> deprecated, and we have (indefinite) plans to move it to postfix
> notation.  Maybe that should be a goal for 2.21 (and eventual
> inclusion in 2.22).  DavidK., you know the parser and lexer.  How hard
> would it be to change the ligature start to postfix notation?

Not at all I think, but coming up with a reasonably quality convert-ly
rule for it would be quite hard.  The slur conversion happened at a time
where the standards expected from convert-ly where much lower and the
possibly affected amount of LilyPond files in circulation was much
lower.

> My expectation is that the hardest part about it might be getting an
> effective convert-ly rule.

I should really make it a habit to read mails to their end before
starting to reply.

--
David Kastrup