Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 19:32:50 +0200

Am 25.07.2018 um 19:03 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
It seems that LilyPond's fc-list does not search anything below
/usr/share/texmf, which is (I suppose) where TeX Live has installed
fonts. OTOH Debian's fc-list *does* search in
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1 where LilyPond finds the fonts I'm
currently looking at.
Well, lilypond installs two fontconfig configuration files:

   00-lilypond-fonts.conf
   99-lilypond-fonts.conf

It also adds lilypond's `.../fonts/otf' directory to fontconfig's
search path (I'm too lazy to check whether it gets prepended or
appended).

Maybe this gives you further clues.

Unfortunately not.
The two "local" conf files only define a number of match fallback aliases.

I'm not sure at what point the fonts/otf directory of the installation is added or used, but I can't see this in the output of LilyPond's fc-list nor in the result of -dshow-available-fonts.

I have massaged the output of fc-list to only show the sorted list of directories. The resulting list is identical with the font directories list produced from lilypond -dshow-available-fonts:

* ~/.fonts (recursively)
* ~/.local/share/fonts
* /usr/local/share/fonts
* /usr/share/fonts (recursively)

The list produced by Debian's fc-list is identical but significantly adds a few entries:
* /usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm
* /usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm-math
* /usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre
* /usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre-math
* /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts

So this is why Debian's fc-list finds the .otf versions of the TeX Gyre family while Lilypond's does not.

Still no clue what to *really* do about it. More and more I think I'll end up with a hack that will catch 90% of special cases.

     Werner