Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 15:43:32 +0200

Am 25.07.2018 um 14:21 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
OK, we're getting closer. There is a *substantial* difference in the
results of fc-list | grep TeX when run from the system fontconfig
and the one packaged with LilyPond:
Have you played with the `FC_CONFIG' environment variable?  Say

   FC_CONFIG=31 fc-list | less

to get a *very* detailed output how fontconfig finds something.  You
might then compare the outputs of the two programs.

Thanks for that hint. This gives indeed more details but actually confirms the prior finding:

Debian's fc-list finds (shortened output, and deliberatly choosing the Bold Italic case):

Font 98 Pattern has 24 elts (size 24)
        family: "TeX Gyre Adventor"(w)
        style: "Bold Italic"(w)
        fullname: "TeXGyreAdventor-BoldItalic"(w)
        file:
"/usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyreadventor-bolditalic.otf"(w)
        fontformat: "CFF"(w)
        postscriptname: "TeXGyreAdventor-BoldItalic"(w)

LilyPond's fc-list finds

Font 255 Pattern has 19 elts (size 19)
        family: "TeXGyreAdventor"(w)
        style: "BoldItalic"(w)
        file: "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/qagbi.pfb"(w)
        fontformat: "Type 1"(w)
        postscriptname: "TeXGyreAdventor-BoldItalic"(w)

After the section with the detailed font patterns there is a list with concise entries.

There Debian's fc-list finds

/usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyreadventor-bolditalic.otf:
TeX Gyre Adventor:style=Bold Italic

while LilyPond's finds

/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/qagbi.pfb: TeXGyreAdventor:style=BoldItalic

So I realize that my problems in Frescobaldi stem from the fact that LilyPond finds different fonts than the operating system. But I don't really have an idea as to what to make of it.

Currently it looks like my best bet would be to simply split a reported style of "BoldItalic" in two words but leave it as it is in other cases (e.g. leave SemiBold alone). This really doesn't feel like a sane solution ...

Urs