Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 18:50:27 +0200

Hi all (especially the font wizards),

I have a follow-up question and unfortunately some more problems.

There are some fonts that seem to be reported wrongly by LilyPond. Strangely it appears that on others' systems it's *other* fonts that are reported wrongly.

One example: TeX Gyre Adventor.

This is reported by fontconfig correctly like this:

$ fc-list | grep -i "TeX Gyre Adventor"
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyreadventor-bold.otf: TeX Gyre Adventor:style=Bold
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyreadventor-italic.otf: TeX Gyre Adventor:style=Italic
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyreadventor-bolditalic.otf: TeX Gyre Adventor:style=Bold Italic
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyreadventor-regular.otf: TeX Gyre Adventor:style=Regular

But LilyPond shows:

family TeXGyreAdventor
 TeXGyreAdventor:style=BoldItalic
etc.

On the other hand some other fonts are reported correctly.
family TeX Gyre Schola
 TeX Gyre Schola:style=Bold
The problem is that when I try to match the fonts reported by LilyPond with those reported as available by Qt in Frescobaldi there is no match. When I ask Qt about styles for TeXGyreAdventor it doesn't return any. I can then set the font style using LilyPond's reporting, and that works for "Bold", "Italic" and "Regular", but not for "BoldItalic" which should be "Bold Italic".

Is it possible that the problem is due to an old fontconfig version used by LilyPond? my Debian package is 2.13.0, the LilyPond directory suggests a version 1.9.2 (is that possible?).

Any other thoughts on this seemingly wrong font reporting?

Thanks
Urs