Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 06:31:29 +0200 (CEST)

> I *think* I've finally understood how to read the output:
>
>  * The "names" part of the details has always one or two entries,
>    never more.
>  * The first of these names is always identical to the family name
>  * If a second name is present this is the font weight this entry is
>  * about
>
> ['Helvetica LT Std', 'style=Bold']
> ['Helvetica LT Std,Helvetica LT Std Cond Blk', 'style=Black
> Condensed,Regular']
> ['Helvetica LT Std,Helvetica LT Std Black', 'style=Black
> Oblique,Italic']

AFAIU, this is the result of three competing font naming standards.
It probably helps if you read the OpenType specification directly.

  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/name#name-ids
  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/namesmp

Add some special `features' of fontconfig, and you arrive at the
current mess.

    Werner