Re: Lilypond & Halfdiminished/Diminished symbols.

From: mason
Subject: Re: Lilypond & Halfdiminished/Diminished symbols.
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 21:34:11 -0700

On 08/06, address@hidden wrote:
> Sure, but from a programming point of view it is better to have all
> characters the same size, then if in the exponent or subscript then shrink
> them.

That makes sense when rendering characters in general, which is what \markup is
for and how it behaves. What we're discussing is a tool for roman numeral
analysis, and in roman numeral analysis the diminished and half-diminished
symbols are always superscripts. The syntax is well-optimized for normal usage.
I wouldn't want to have to specify that half diminished symbol as a superscript
when the superscript position should be the default placement.

> It is my personal choice to use it like that regardless of what the
> Conservatoire requires.
> I sometime need the half diminished and diminished as the only character

Then it's a good thing that David shared his code as free (as in freedom[1])
software, so that it can be modified for your unique use case. Even without
understanding Scheme, it wasn't too hard for me to copy/paste/modify the
functions for "h" and "o" to create "H" and "O" which produce larger versions
of the symbol while leaving "h" and "o" intact for normal usage. If you wish,
you can tweak the size of the symbols further by experimenting with the numbers
in the paragraphs beginning with "#(define (make-diminished-large-markup
font-size)" and "#(define (make-half-diminished-large-markup font-size)".

The modified file is attached, and example usage is below.

\language "english"

\include "roman_numeral_analysis_tool.ily"

bassline = \relative c' {
  \key c \minor
  \clef bass
  c, b c d |
  ef f g c, |
}

analysis = \lyricmode {
  \markup \rN { i }
  \markup \rN { O 7 }
  \markup \rN { i }
  \markup \rN { V 6 4 }
  \markup \rN { i 6 }
  \markup \rN { H 6 5 }
  \markup \rN { V }
  \markup \rN { i }
}

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice = "bass" { \bassline }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "bass" { \analysis }

Mason

[1] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html