Re: Lilypond & Halfdiminished/Diminished symbols.

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Lilypond & Halfdiminished/Diminished symbols.
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 19:27:24 -0500

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 6:40 PM <address@hidden> wrote:

> One last question,
>
> On Mason's insistence I used the other option
> "roman_numeral_analysis_tool". I got it to work, but there were clashes
> with some of my other includes, so I have to make some changes to avoid
> clashes. Anyway that is my problem.
>
> Is there any way to make the half-diminished symbol larger using
> \markup \rN {h}
> I know I can scale it probably with lilypond tricks, but is there any
> built in scaling for the roman_numeral_analysis_tool in the unit ?
>
> Sort of along the LaTeX \large \Large commands that can precede any
> symbol.
> When using the half-diminished symbol diatonically it is not necessary
> to add the Roman Numeral scale-degree and only use the half-diminished
> symbol and reduce clutter. In this case, it is microscopic small and is
> seemingly by default scaled for exponent use.
>
> It would be better to have the symbol standard size like the capitalized
> Roman numerals and have a lower case function and then as in LaTeX once
> you use it for an exponent it is scaled to the smaller exponent size.
>
> As is, it is microscopic to use on its own.
> So how do I get it to Standard capital Roman Numeral and lower case
> numeral size and not by default exponent size as the case is now ?

Hi,

In the annotation style this tool attempts to emulate (any number of
US undergrad theory texts: Kostka & Payne, Clendinning, etc.), the
half-diminished symbol never appears without some sort of
bass-position symbol: "7," "65," etc.  I've also never seen it (or the
diminished symbol) as anything but small, whether accompanied by a
Roman numeral or not.  Hence its superscript sizing.

In any case, you can magnify it like so (from the README):

"Another way to scale a single numeral would be within the actual
markup command invocation:

\markup \override #'(font-size . 2) \rN { ... }
"

It may be that the tool can be customized to your use, if you provide
a comprehensive example of what you want it to do.

Best,
David