Re: Lilypond & Halfdiminished/Diminished symbols.

From: mason
Subject: Re: Lilypond & Halfdiminished/Diminished symbols.
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 11:32:13 -0700

On 08/09, address@hidden wrote:
> Mason,
> Although, you indicated you dont intend to continue with your code which is
> a pit, it is what I will have to use in the man time.

Are you referring to the first link I shared? That was to a snippet from the
LSR. See here[1] for more information on what the LSR is. I don't know who the
author of that snippet is, but it was not me. David's code appears to be an
extension of that snippet, so while I have gotten a lot of use out of the
original snippet I will use his superior one instead from now on.

> I understand
> the GNU license, but I ask anyway. I might want to extend your code to what
> I need rather than to write a completely new routine and I will post back
> the changes to you as the license require if I use your code.

Neither of the snippets in this thread are under the GPL. Lilypond itself is
GPLv3, but LSR snippets are public domain and David's code is MIT. If you are
worried that you might be using the latter in an objectional way, David N is
the one you should talk to, although as David K pointed out you are unlikely to
be sued over copyright here.

Also, not that it matters in this context, I don't think that the GPL requires
you to return your modifications to the original author. I suggest reading
more[2][3][4] about this license.

> "roman_numeral_analysis_tool.ily" clashes with lyluatex and does not
> compile.

I've never used lyluatex (though I plan to eventually) so I'm afraid that I
can't help you with this.

> I will definitely not be using "roman_numeral_analysis_tool.ily" as it does
> not work with lyluatex which is a prerequisite for me.
> I will post a file showing that for David's perusal as it doesnt solve my
> problem at all and I will rather write my own.

I suspect that it would be easier to debug roman_numeral_analysis_tool.ily
until it works with lyluatex than to start from scratch. Either way, I'd be
interested to see what you come up with.

Good luck,

Mason

[1] http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/html/whatsthis.html
[2] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html