Re: Your Bespoke Lilypond Environment

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Your Bespoke Lilypond Environment
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 19:07:52 +0000

On 4/7/20, Karlin High <address@hidden> wrote:
> DDR-SDRAM sure beats having to say
> "double data rate synchronous dynamic random access memory."

Here I was, thinking that these memory cards were all from East-Germany… :-)

As for OP’s request, it depends whether I’m on tty or graphical
interface. In tty mode, emacs is my main LilyPond environment (vi only
for small quick edits, as I never took the time to learn more useful
macros). In another tty, I have lilypond running on a loop on the same
file, so that I don’t have to relaunch it myself. (For large scores
with several dozen thousands LOC, there is a 20s time-lag between my
edits and the compilation result, but I’ve learned to live with it.)
And occasionally I switch to a graphical tty (used to be fbdev,
nowadays it’s wayland) where I have a full-screen pdf viewer opened
(possibly zathura).

When I’m not in tty mode, I only use Frescobaldi now (it’s _extremely_
well-thought, even for power users).

The other environment I tend to use is… an Android cell phone. I used
to have lilypond running in a full GNU/Linux chroot, and I kept
switching between vi in a terminal and an Android-provided PDF viewer
(MuPDF). I ended up getting rid of my 1GB chroot image, and I only use
Termux instead; LilyPond is more or less impossible to build in Termux
(not for lack of trying, believe me), but I only ssh to my proper
GNU/Linux server and work from there (with, again, lilypond running in
a loop). I’ve typeset entire scores on a 4-inch entry-level Chinese
ARM phone (sometimes even without a bluetooth keyboard, which, why
yes, is bordering on insanity).

The other desktop environment I happily use is Haiku (haiku-s.org);
LilyPond is again not available (but could conceivably be ported, as
most of the toolchain is already there; as of now I’m stuck at the
TeX/mf requirements). But I still can ssh into my server so that’s not
a problem; besides Frescobaldi _is_ available under Haiku, and can
very easily be installed (with minor adjustments) through pip. Now,
_that’s_ bespoke if nothing else!

V.