Re: Alignment issues of Time signature above the staff

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: Alignment issues of Time signature above the staff
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 19:43:44 +0100

Hi Chen,

I think this is a situation where you can't have it both ways - I
can't think of any automatic way for the TimeSignature to only occupy
that space when it "needs" to. Bar widths are not directly modifiable
and setting the extra-spacing-width is always going to push things
around (as it happens, that is exactly what \textLengthOn does - it
sets values for extra-spacing-width and -height - and that's all it
does).

Given how unusual this particular circumstance is I think the best
thing would be to use overrides every time it happens so that the
extra-spacing-width is only set when it needs to be (and if it happens
frequently, then write a function that wraps \compoundMeter and use it
as necessary). If you have circumstances where you simultaneously need
to stretch the bars and have overlapping text/signatures with
textLengthOn, then in that case I'd say you may just have to resort to
overriding whatever offsets you need to to position everything where
you want.

I've attached your example with the overrides I mean added in.

Kevin