Re: 2.21.1 change of behavior of \compressMMRests?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: 2.21.1 change of behavior of \compressMMRests?
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 08:14:34 +0200

On 5/3/20, Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
> Out of simple curiosity what is the purpose of the \compressMMRests { }
> structure rather than the \set or \override action I would think of?
> I'm guessing \compressMMRests does \set \unset or \override \revert pairs.

As you can see if you open the music-functions-init.ly file in your
LilyPond installation, it’s a fairly simple music function that relies
on the skipBars property:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/tree/ly/music-functions-init.ly#n313
As does compressEmptyMeasures, formerly compressFullBarRests -- but
these are just a mere override:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/tree/ly/property-init.ly#n168

Now, your question is exactly why I felt the need to add a whole new
subsection to the Notation Reference:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#compressing-empty-measures
I hope this can answer your question (as well as the rationale behind
the renaming of FullbarRests into EmptyMeasures); please do tell us if
that seems unclear to you or if you have some suggestions to improve
that part of the documentation.

Cheers,
-- V.