Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 22:40:09 +0200

David Nalesnik <address@hidden> writes:

> I can really only speak of the Midwest, and of undergraduate music
> students.  It is my observation that the habit of calling F-sharps "F"
> goes along with mistakes in sight-reading and in chord spelling.

Let's talk about sharps in order not to think b/h is involved.  I think
it is noteworthy that you can ask "is the F sharp?" in English, but
there is no way you could ask "Ist das F ein Fis?" in German in the same
way.  You can ask that question, but it is like "Is David actually
Paul?" rather than "Is David David Nalesnik?".  Basically the question
is not asking for what kind of F is there but whether mistakenly F had
been written instead of F sharp.

--
David Kastrup