Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 07:45:23 -0500

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 8:39 PM David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed 13 May 2020 at 16:35:48 (-0500), David Nalesnik wrote:

> > > Are these the same ones who call b an h?
> > >
> > > Certainly for someone who's mother tongue is English (NOT American) I'd
> > > never call b-flat a b because how would I tell whether it's flat or not
> > > :-)
> > >

> > ! hear it a lot in the US.  (And it's often correlated with losing
> > sight of the key signature...)
>
> Assuming ! stands for "I" and not negation, I can't say that I've met
> English speakers in either the UK or US who use b and h for Bflat and B.
> Under what circumstances do you hear it: amateur choirs and orchestral
> players, professionals, or in academic duscussions of German music?
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Hi David Wright,

Once again the name "David" rears its head!  You are mixing my
response with David Kastrup's

This all reminds me of my undergraduate days in the late 80s/early
90s.  I remember feeling a little affronted by a flyer for a party
that started "Hey Dave!" since of course I turned to look...  There
were so many "Davids" on campus.  (Apparently it was the most common
US name in my birth year.)

Best,
David Nalesnik